University professor spells success in book

To one businessman, money and power are not the only keys to success.
In his book, Empower Yourself,” University adjunct professor Alan Fine stresses the importance of striking a balance in the business world between ethical behavior and the pursuit of wealth.
Fine, a Carlson School of Management professor, vice president of Chicago-based Wesirow Financial and advisor to The Minnesota Daily board of directors, wrote the book because he believes businesspeople need to re-evaluate their priorities.
“People are too focused on how much money they are going to make or how big of a raise they are going to receive,” Fine said. “They need to have a personal balance and see the big picture beyond just making money.”
The book sets out a planning framework for achieving personal balance through what Fine calls the “Dimensions of Success.” The dimensions highlight personal balance through health, companionship, respect, money, purpose and time.
“Life is not all about money — if you don’t have these other things money doesn’t matter,” Fine said.
Fine said he also teaches this business philosophy in his University courses.
“It is important for students embarking on life’s journey into the real world to think about what they are doing,” Fine said.
Ahmed Siddiqui, a Carlson School of Management junior, said the book serves as a valuable motivational tool.
“With all the competition in the business world, the ethics issue is a common concern. This book addresses the importance of acting noble in the way we treat others,” Siddiqui said.
Kelly Clement, a Carlson School of Management senior, said Fine’s book adds “depth to the definition of success.
“Success is based on developing personal integrity, empowering yourself and taking responsibility for your actions,” Clement said. “It is not just about becoming a CEO, but becoming a CEO and giving back to the community.”
Fine said that it is important for students, who are making their foray into the working world, to know they can maintain their integrity.
“You don’t have to sacrifice values or jeopardize personal relationships in order to please an employer or a co-worker. The right way to maintain integrity is to think ahead,” Fine said.
Siddiqui said he couldn’t set the book down, and even after he did, he said: “It’s the kind of book you read over and over again.”
Fine said he did not intend to write a self-help book. “It encourages people to gain perspective, be kind to themselves and others,” he said. “By helping others, you will ultimately help yourself.”