Talking sex — with peers

The Nov. 3 Minnesota Daily article regarding the 3.37 âÄúGPAâÄù the University of Minnesota received from Trojan on its nationwide sexual health report card touches on an issue that is crucially important to sexual education. This issue is the use of peers to educate others about sexual health.

From simply distributing free condoms to actually sitting down and talking to students about sexual health, the value of having a fellow student who is similar in age talk to you about sexual health is impossible to overstate. For some, sexual health is a topic that is almost taboo. The students at the University come from an incredibly wide variety of backgrounds, some of which may have discouraged or neglected sexual health education. At any college or university, sex is something that is extremely relevant to student life and is an issue that simply cannot be ignored. It is the UniversityâÄôs duty to provide a platform of sexual health education that is not only informative and helpful to students, but one that also renders the topic something that is not embarrassing or taboo.

The University is doing an excellent job of this and it should continue maintaining the high level of peer-to-peer education on sexual health. Creating dialogue between peers on this often neglected issue is much more likely to make an impact on their lives than by hearing it from someone in scrubs.