TCF will not end free checking for U

University faculty, staff and student accounts will not be charged new fees.

I am writing today in repose to the Jan. 28 editorial regarding the end of TCFâÄôs free checking account. It is true that TCF will begin charging a minimum balance maintenance fee on a portion of its checking accounts because of a change in federal regulations. Most banks are heading in the same direction. However, please be assured that University of Minnesota students, faculty and staff with campus card checking accounts (or UCard checking accounts) will continue to be exempt from any maintenance fee, as will all campus card checking accounts at the other universities with which we have relationships. It is unfortunate that the editorial published by The Minnesota Daily was written without the facts being fully investigated. Our management team and experienced campus branch staff could have provided them with pertinent information on the topic, and we encourage them to contact us in the future. I want to reiterate that the UCard checking account remains free to students, faculty and staff, meaning no minimum balance and no monthly service fees to maintain the checking account. TCF is your convenience bank. University students, faculty and staff with UCard checking accounts will continue to enjoy many convenient features, including no minimum balance, free bill pay and free checks. TCF is proud to be a partner of the University, and we support and sponsor multiple student activities and on-campus programs, financial literacy programs and faculty and staff initiatives. In addition, we provide a substantial scholarship program for University students. We value the significance of student checking relationships as a long-term investment in what we hope to cultivate as lifelong customers at TCF. Jason Korstange, director of corporate communications , TCF Bank