Editorial: The Minnesota Daily’s endorsement for Minnesota House District 60B

House District 60B is experiencing change this election cycle, as the first Somali-American legislator Rep. Ilhan Omar, DFL-Minneapolis, has vacated the seat for a chance to represent Minnesota in Congress. This leaves the door open for multiple candidates who, if elected, will be representing over 35,000 residents on the University of Minnesota campus and Augsburg University, as well as the surrounding communities of Cedar-Riverside, Southeast Como and Marcy Holmes. While this district has a vibrant immigrant community, its inclusion of two Universities means that there are thousands of students to represent as well.

We believe that Mohamud Noor is the best candidate to further the work of Ilhan Omar and strengthen the 60B community. Noor’s ideas for housing, policing and immigration took a multi-faceted policy approach, which creates a strong platform to move the community forward. We believe his ability to navigate, understand and bring together cultural and student communities on the local and state government levels remains his strongest asset.

Noor is the former director of the Confederation of Somali Community. Having graduated from Metropolitan State University, he worked for 14 years in Hennepin County and greater Minnesota. Additionally, he’s worked on the Minneapolis School Board and was a member of the Minnesota’s Governor’s Council of Black Minnesotans.

Noor emphasized the need for our state government to increase its outreach to immigrant communities and to immigrants eligible to receive citizenship. He also emphasized the need to create a more accessible pathway to achieve that goal. Noor has a deep understanding of not only the community, but also issues that community members face. He wants to include constituents of 60B — students and non-students alike — in his decision-making process to truly give them a voice in the government. We believe he is deeply committed to seeking and maintaining change in the community and will continue to be a champion for constituent voices — elevating their input in our local and state governments.

Joe Patiño remains the loan challenger on the Republican ticket in the district. A Minnesota native, Patiño has spent time out of state for post-secondary education and in Utah, interning with Sen. Mike Lee. He currently works as an operations manager for a property management company, and he’s looking to finish his undergraduate studies at the University of Minnesota in the spring. Although we believe that Patiño has great intentions in running for District 60B, he ultimately lacks experience in the community and local government, compared to Noor. Regardless, Patiño brings knowledge in handling housing issues, through his work in property management and we believe that his experience as a current student would make him a good advocate for the University community. However, District 60B’s make-up of students and other communities calls for avocation beyond the student community — this is an area in which he falls short, compared to his opponent.

Ultimately, Noor’s understanding of the student, immigrant and other residential communities makes him the best candidate for District 60B. His approach to policy and community involvement will unequivocally serve his constituents. His proposed policies, thus far, will continue the work that Omar has done in the district, while bringing fresh ideas and a well-rounded approach to the Minnesota House. We implore you to vote on Nov. 6 for Mohamud Noor to represent District 60B in the Minnesota House of Representatives.