Allen Kathir for Ward 3

Kathir best represents the interests of students, renters and landlords.

When it comes to the Ward 3 Minneapolis City Council race, candidate Allen Kathir has the brightest vision for Minneapolis and best represents student interests. The young, self-proclaimed Democrat and graduate of the University of Minnesota has both public and private sector experience. He served on the Minneapolis Commission on Civil Rights, promoting and enforcing local civil rights provisions and currently works for FM Global as a risk consultant. His analytical intuition, charisma and democratic vision for Ward 3 would make Kathir an excellent city councilman. Kathir is mindful of the cityâÄôs financial situation and offers practical strategies to cut costs. âÄúOur police department has paid over $25 million in lawsuits in the last four years as a result of discrimination âĦ City Council has not given the police department an ultimatum.âÄù According to Kathir, students make up one-third of Ward 3, but when it comes to city and neighborhood governance, he believes students have been left in the cold. One of KathirâÄôs platform items is increasing city government responsiveness to constituents. He promises to respond to communication within 24 hours and heavily criticizes the insulation of the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association from both student and landlord involvement. âÄúThe problem is that only 15 percent of the neighborhood gets to make decisions.âÄù Kathir was also critical of the potential city ordinance banning 18+ shows, saying incumbent âÄúDiane [Hofstede] hasnâÄôt come out with a position in this issue.âÄù Because he best represents students, renters and landlords, The Minnesota Daily Editorial Board endorses Allen Kathir for Ward 3 City Council.