Getting what you pay for

Skimping on faculty doesn’t help students.

The School of Music has found a cheaper way to teach students. By hiring members of the community as part-time teachers, the school avoids the burden of paying a full-time salary.

While these outside instructors may be talented and helpful, students should get what they pay for. With an extremely high tuition that only gets raised every year, students deserve a fully-qualified professor who gets paid with that big tuition check.

As the cost of college rises, students must demand more from the University of Minnesota. Legitimate faculty members who are fully compensated are the least students can ask for.

The college launched the initiative to hire less expensive teachers last year. The school finds teachers in the community that may not have a doctorate, but do possess musical talent and skills. These individuals are capable and respected musicians; however, they are not considered actual professors at the school.

The School of Music is saving money for itself by hiring nonprofessor teachers, but where is that extra money going? Students of the School of Music should benefit from the savings if they must sacrifice having a full-time professor.

Budget cuts have caused schools to take a variety of measures to save costs, but students should have to pay the full cost of tuition just to see their classes taught by community members from whom they could take private lessons for significantly cheaper.

Whether it comes through a break on tuition or through some other means, the students deserve some sort of benefit when their classes arenâÄôt being taught by full-time, professional faculty.