Life happens

During the freshman orientation process, the four-year graduation plan is covered over and over again. And it continues through the rest of oneâÄôs college experience, even in The Minnesota Daily article, âÄúUniversity continues push for four-year graduation,âÄù by James Nord. This plan is shoved down our throats as the âÄúone true pathâÄù to our career. But, as Normandale Community College professor Dr. David Rayson says, âÄúlife happens.âÄù I will not be graduating in four years âÄî the administration can thank a nine-month fight with a parasite for this individual ruining her graduation statistics. I also have priorities other than school âÄî my family, my jobs, my friends. College is not about getting in and out, or being told how to live life. It is about our own discovery of how we want to live as adults. As such, each individual student should be allowed the right to choose how long their college education takes. If it is two years, three, four or seven âÄî that choice should be respected. ItâÄôs great that some can graduate in four or less, but do not make me look or feel like a bum for taking control of how my education proceeds. Is this not the goal of âÄúgrowing upâÄù âÄî to gain the experience, knowledge and skills to make my own decisions? Life happens, and it is my right to choose how I approach it. Jennifer Nicklay University undergraduate student