NCAA student-athletes may see increased financial aid

Andrew Krammer

Student-athletes could see an increase in as much as $2,000 to their individual scholarships.

A committee is expected to recommend the proposal when the NCAA’s Division I board of directors meet on Oct. 26 and 27 in Indianapolis.

Right now, a full grant for a student-athlete to attend a Division I school only covers room, board, books and tuition. That may seem like a full ride, but these student-athletes, outside of school and their respected sport, don’t have the available time to get a part-time job and earn spending money like other students.

Lucrative television contracts in the Bowl Championship Series in football and the NCAA in basketball have added more revenue for a majority of conferences. This adds to the growing sentiment that student-athletes need to see some of that compensation.

The committee, led by Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, noted that the scholarship increases would depend on the needs of each school.

The Division I board also plans to look into toughening the academic eligibility requirements for incoming freshman athletes. Raising the minimum grade-point requirement from 2.0 to 2.5 in the core high school classes of English, math, science and social studies.