Gophers win again in the pool

Minnesota’s women’s swimming and diving team competed on three straight days.

Minnesota’s women’s swimming and diving team capped off three consecutive days of competition with a win against conference rival Iowa on Sunday. The win comes after the Gophers finished second in a quad-dual meet at Wisconsin on Friday and Saturday.

Against the Hawkeyes, Minnesota had a strong opening performance from its divers, who took the top three spots in the 1- and 3-meter diving competitions.

Shannon Jackson led all divers with a score of 280.05 in the 1-meter competition. Rebecca Cornthwaite took first place in the 3-meter competition scoring 286.80. Jackson captured second (273.60).

Senior Melissa Schold finished first in both the 100 (1:04.22) and 200 (2:20.20) breaststroke.

Freshman Valerie Tukey clocked a first place time of 10:20.16 in the 1,000 freestyle.

Juleen Rodakowski continued a solid afternoon leading the way in the 200 butterfly (2:04.98). Sarah Bohlson captured a first place finish in the 100 fly with a time of 58.07.

Capturing three of the top five finishes in the 50 free kept the confidence flowing for the Gophers. Sophomore Sarah Perrott earned the top spot in a time of 23.94.

Men’s swimming & diving

Minnesota’s men’s swimming and diving team defeated 12th-ranked Wisconsin (219-131) and Purdue (234-118) in a Big Ten triple dual meet Saturday in Madison, Wis.

The Gophers broke two pool records in the process. The first was captured by sophomore Adam Mitchell in the 400 IM with a time of 3:55.23 while the 400 freestyle relay team of Terry Silkaitis, Neil Osten, Mario Delac, and Igor Cerensek recorded an impressive time of 2:58.22, which also provisionally qualified them for the NCAA championships.

Gymnastics

Minnesota’s women’s gymnastics team lost to third-ranked Utah in Salt Lake City 196.600-194.625 in front of a crowd of 7,909 on Saturday.

Junior Mary Skokut was a bright spot for the Gophers as she tied Utah’s Veronique Leclerc for first on the bars with a score of 9.85. Sophomore Laura Johnson continued to perform well this season by placing third among five all-around performers with a 39.200.

Meanwhile, Minnesota’s men’s gymnastics downed Illinois-Chicago 208.825-204.250 at the Sports Pavilion on Saturday. The Gophers captured four of the six team events, outscoring the Flames on the pommel horse, still rings, parallel bars and horizontal bar. Individually, the Gophers were led by freshman Jacob Lee, who won the all-around with a score of 52.125, his first all-around title of his career.