Sexual maturity at the U

Sexual education and health are vital, and the University has been recognized.

The University was recently voted No. 1 in sexual education and awareness by a survey done by Trojan Brand Condoms. With the onslaught of new information thrown at students at the beginning of each year, sexual education is some of the most important and useful education, and it’s something the University talks about candidly and openly.

The survey assigned grades and rankings to 139 higher-education institutions around the country based on a variety of testing points, including condom and contraception availability and the presence of anonymous sexual-health advice for students.

Although a survey done by Trojan isn’t exactly the type of research done by a respected journal of sexual health, it does present a pertinent issue on campuses nationwide, and sheds light on the valuable existing sexual-health programs present for students at the University.

Current statistics show that one in two sexually active people will contract an STD by the age of 25, and around half of all new STDs reported in 2000 occurred in youths ages 18 to 24. It’s no secret many of us are sexually active, and we need to address this fact in a mature, open manner.

The University makes it relatively easy and embarrassment-free to get tested for STDs and HIV/AIDS. Testing is anonymous and the nurses pass out condoms and education material, rather than judgment and disapproving comments. This kind of nonjudgmental and supportive advice is vital in getting students into the office to get tested. There is still work to be done, however. Almost half of young adults have never been tested for STDs.

University life provides an increase in personal freedom for students when it comes to everything from alcohol to sex. We need to stay safe as we explore these freedoms, and the only way to do that is by informing and educating ourselves.