Theta Chi fraternity works to re-emerge on campus

The fraternity’s biggest tagline is that it is not going to have a “frat-boy image.”

Attempting a comeback on campus after leaving five years ago, Theta Chi fraternity is recruiting members to reorganize at the University.

Mike Mayer and Nate Hibben, leadership and education consultants for the fraternity’s international headquarters, are now recruiting members for the chapter’s return.

Mayer said the fraternity is looking for male students with grade point averages at or above the all-men’s average who are leaders on campus and seek to build campus leadership and community.

He said this is because the fraternity’s biggest tagline is that it is not going to have a “frat-boy image.” The “party image” is not true of all fraternities, he said, but the media often portray it that way.

“It’s a stigma we are trying to break,” Mayer said.

University Interfraternity Council President Brian Brothman said Theta Chi is strong nationally and has existed for approximately 80 years.

“I’m excited that a large, national fraternity is coming back to campus,” he said.

Brothman also said most fraternities are changing their ways of recruiting. He said more and more are looking for men who are serious about academics and not just social aspects.

“Every fraternity wants a balanced member,” Brothman said.

Mayer said that Theta Chi left campus in 2000 when membership was dwindling, and the Interfraternity Council board of directors, the University and the fraternity members made the decision.

“It was in the best interest to close for five years, wait and come back to campus with a fresh start,” Mayer said.

It was advantageous for Theta Chi to return because of alumni support and the national president for the fraternity being an alumnus from Minnesota, Mayer said.

He also said there will be several alumni on an advisory board to help the group.

Mayer said he would like to also consider adding faculty members and other community members to the fraternity.

The fraternity currently has no housing plans in place.

“Right now, our primary goal is to focus on building an organization based on values of service and community,” Mayer said.

The former Theta Chi chapter house has been remodeled. The Christian-affiliated fraternity and sorority Kappa Pi Alpha and Bordertown Coffee are now in it.

According to the Interfraternity Council Web site, approximately 900 men are involved in 20 greek fraternities on campus.