Rainbow is now ticket outlet

Tickets for events at locations such as Northrop Auditorium, First Avenue and the Target Center are now available at 32 more outlets.
A recent partnership between Ticketmaster and Rainbow Foods allows people to buy tickets to events such as concerts and sporting events at any one of the grocery chain’s metro area stores. The partnership, which took effect Sunday, extends to 51 the number of Twin Cities locations that sell tickets through Ticketmaster.
Holly Redis-McCulskey, audience service manager for Northrop Auditorium, said the extension of outlets will make ticket-buying more convenient.
“It’s an interesting concept to buy food and then buy tickets,” she said, adding that the partnership will probably not lead to an increase in ticket sales. Also, Rainbow ticket-buyers will not receive Gold Points at the store from ticket purchases.
For some students, convenience is not the top priority when it comes to purchasing tickets. Matt Churchill, a College of Liberal Arts senior, said he tries not to use the ticket service because of the expense of the tickets. He also said he believes the company has a monopoly on the ticket industry.
“There are certain events that you can only get tickets for through Ticketmaster,” Churchill said.
However, Nancy Carstens, general manager for Ticketmaster Minnesota, said ticket distribution is dependent on the event’s promoter.
Jeremy Paciorek, a sophomore in General College, said he must use Ticketmaster during times when there are no other options, but that the only really convenient location for students would be an office on campus.
Northrop offices are only open until 5 p.m., but tickets will be available at all Rainbow service counters from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and until 8 p.m. on Sundays.
Carstens said Ticketmaster outlets located in grocery stores around the country have been successful, and that Rainbow Foods was chosen as an expansion outlet because of the number of stores.