Kappa Alpha Psi returns to campus

The predominantly black fraternity left the University campus in 1999.

The black fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi celebrated its return to the University with an enthusiastic celebration Friday night at Coffman Union.

The predominantly black fraternity left campus in 1999 because of a lack of membership.

The organization’s public announcement of new members said it is back on campus to help the community.

Fraternity brothers from chapters nationwide, friends and family, and various community members came out to support newly initiated members.

The show highlighted the bravado and swagger of the “Kappa Man” and urged the University to take notice of the change Kappa Alpha Psi would bring.

New member Jason Gale, an economics and sociology senior, said that he joined the fraternity because of the organization’s image and commitment to the community.

“First, it was the showmanship,” he said. “Then, it was the service.”

Members emphatically spoke about their pledge to community service.

“(Kappa Alpha Psi) is a brotherhood, it’s all about

community service and helping others,” said new member Stephen Porter, a psychology junior.

Young and old members confidently said they would bring about a “revolution” on campus by setting higher standards for community service.

Members said they want to work with other greek organizations on campus and help strengthen fraternities and sororities.

Anthony Lamarr Brown II, a theater arts senior, said that he joined because other family members are also in the organization.

“I was inspired by the way they carried themselves and how motivated they are because of the experience they pulled from (Kappa Alpha Psi),” he said.

Brown’s great-uncle and fraternity sponsor, Adolph Wilburn, a fraternity member since 1954, attended the ceremony with Brown’s father, Anthony L. Brown Sr. He said that he encouraged his great-nephew to join because of the positive experiences he had as a member.

“(Kappa Alpha Psi) has a real respect for personal growth and the advancement of knowledge,” he said. “Everybody’s really focused on career, development and community.”

Fred Thomas, an advisory committee member for the fraternity, said the idea for a renewed University presence began when officials decided to hold their 2007 national convention in the Twin Cities.