Search for missing U student continues

David Miller was last seen leaving Wilkins Hall Tuesday night.

More than 70 police officers from several agencies scoured Dinkytown and University of Minnesota area Friday in an unsuccessful attempt to locate a University student missing since Tuesday.

Friday’s “grid search” follows a wide-ranging search conducted with boats, helicopters, drones and K-9s Thursday to locate David Miller, a third-year student in the College of Biological Sciences. Miller, 20, was last seen leaving Wilkins Hall at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

University of Minnesota Police Department Chief Matt Clark said searches of the Mississippi River by boat and campus searches by UMPD will continue through the weekend.

Miller’s roommates reported him missing Wednesday afternoon, Clark said at a Thursday press conference.

On Thursday, Clark said Miller’s parents and roommates believe his disappearance is out of character and there is no reason to suspect foul play or self-harm.

Miller left his wallet and cellphone in his dorm room, Clark said. UMPD investigators are reviewing Miller’s social media sites and his phone for any clues.

He said the department has met with Miller’s family to discuss the search and next steps.

Clark said the department is also reviewing footage from the University’s approximately 2,000 security cameras for clues to Miller’s whereabouts.

Clark said he was thankful for the assistance UMPD has received from other area, statewide and county law enforcement agencies.

Miller is described as 6 feet 1 inches tall and 175 pounds with green eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing dark pants and a dark jacket.

If you have seen Miller or have information about his disappearance, contact UMPD at 612-624-2677 or 911.