Super sleuths

Today the search begins — the search for the sixpence, that is. The finder of the gold coin hidden somewhere on the St. Paul campus will be the keeper of some sporty treasures.
A take-off from the St. Paul Winter Carnival medallion hunt, this is the first year of the week-long search engineered to get more organizations involved in Spring Jam. The hunt is the brainchild of a group representing the St. Paul Student Center, the men’s and women’s athletics departments and the Spring Jam Committee.
“We’re trying to start a tradition,” said David Fleischhacker, the special events coordinator at the St. Paul Student Center.
Among the prizes awaiting the winner of the sixpence hunt are two tickets to football, hockey and basketball games, two fleece jackets, two hockey and basketball T-shirts, two key chains and two cushion seats. The prizes were donated by the men’s athletics department.
The women’s athletics department donated four tickets to a women’s hockey game, four couch-potato tickets to volleyball and basketball games, two volleyball and basketball T-shirts, two large and four small basketballs and four water bottles.
“We’re hoping the prize package will entice people to participate,” said Shannon Loecher, the sports promotion representative for men’s athletics. Any student registered for six or more credits and all staff and faculty members are eligible to look for the coin.
The gold sixpence is three inches in diameter with red lettering, which reads “Saint Paul Spring Jam Sixpence and Men’s and Women’s Athletics.” Logos of the St. Paul Student Center and Spring Jam as well as logos for men’s and women’s athletics accompany the lettering.
The St. Paul Student Center will give out a clue every day this week. Clues are available on the World Wide Web sites of the St. Paul Student Center and men’s and women’s athletics departments. The clues also will be broadcast on Target Vision in the St. Paul Student Center and printed with Spring Jam advertisements in the Minnesota Daily.
“There are no limits,” said Fleischhacker. The sixpence may be hidden anywhere on the St. Paul campus. It is not buried, and could be inside or outside.
The happy hunter who discovers the sixpence must bring the coin to the Campus Activities and Program Center in Coffey Hall on the St. Paul campus.