Ware named men’s basketball director of operations

Men’s basketball coach Dan Monson announced Tuesday the hiring of James Ware as director of basketball operations. Ware replaces J.B. Bickerstaff, who was hired by the Minnesota Timberwolves as their game analyst for radio broadcasts on KFAN-AM.

Ware served as the program coordinator for the work-study program at Minnesota since January 2001. He was responsible for all aspects of the work-study program, including monitoring student eligibility for work-study employment and orienting students, parents and departments to the work-study program. He also managed the community service program that developed student participation and networked with Twin Cities nonprofit organizations.

Ware played in two state tournaments for Hopkins High School and was an all-state and all-metro selection his senior year as well as being a Mr. Basketball finalist. He was a two-year starter at Texas Tech University, was named All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in 2000 and was an All-Big 12 academic second team selection. Since 2000, Ware has been a volunteer assistant coach for Hopkins, coaching current Gophers Kris Humphries and Dan Coleman.

Men’s hockey ticket info

Minnesota’s athletics department announced a limited number of single-game men’s hockey tickets will be available for the 2003-2004 season. Tickets will go on sale by phone only Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Orders will be limited to two games per household at the rate of four tickets per game. Only reserved standing room and scattered single seats will be available.

The cost of single-game tickets is $28 for reserved seating and $25 for reserved standing room, with the exception of the Holiday Classic, which is $33 for reserved seating and $30 for reserved standing room.

Accepted payment methods over the phone are Visa, MasterCard, Novus and American Express credit cards.

Fans can call (612) 624-8080 or 1-800-UGOPHER to purchase tickets.