Softball team wins third consecutive Softball Classic

Minnesota’s softball team edged Drake 1-0 on Sunday at the Metrodome to capture its third consecutive Metrodome Softball Classic title.

Senior outfielder Veronica Roberts hit in the winning run in the top of the seventh inning to give the Gophers a perfect 6-0 record at the tournament and on the season.

Pitcher Angie Recknor mowed down the Bulldog batters, striking out nine en route to Tournament MVP honors. In addition, pitcher Piper Marten and catcher/designated player Valerie Alston were named to the All-Tournament team.

Men’s tennis

Minnesota’s men’s tennis team defeated (6-0) Boise State 4-3 at the Harvard Invitational in Boston, Mass. After claiming two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point, Avery Ticer, Clay Estes and Eric Robertson each claimed singles victories to earn the win for No. 11 Minnesota.

Manuel Lievano and Estes won at No. 2 doubles 9-7. Estes went on to a win at No. 5 singles. Lievano lost at No. 3 singles 6-4, 4-6, 3-6.

Minnesota also claimed a 4-2 victory over Clemson on Saturday.

Women’s gymnastics

Minnesota swept all four events en route to winning the Best of Minnesota meet held at the Sports Pavilion with a season-high score of 195.875.

Junior Alicia Opsahl was named the meet MVP as she set a new career-best in the floor exercise and tied a career-best on the balance beam.

Freshman Laura Johnson won the all-around with a career-best score of 38.750 and also tied for the vault and bars titles.

In the vault, Johnson scored a career-high 9.925 as she tied for first with teammate Carolyn Yernberg. Senior Leigh Dixon was third with a score of 9.8 as Minnesota swept the top-three spots.

In the bars, Johnson tied a career best with a score of 9.775 as she tied for first with Opsahl. Dixon claimed third once again with a score of 9.65.

Senior Kelly Watson and Opsahl turned in career-best performances with scores of 9.9 to tie for first on the balance beam. Junior Mary Skokut tied a career best and finished tied for third with senior Jenny Alf with a score of 9.875.

Men’s track

Minnesota’s men’s track and field team provisionally qualified in six events for the NCAA Championships as the team competed at the Nebraska Adidas Classic on Saturday.

Juniors Mitch Potter, Mikael Jakobsson and Adam Steele, and senior Andy Wohlin, took the first four places in the 400-meter dash with Potter and Jakobsson running provisional qualifying times of 46.67 and 46.91 seconds, respectively. The same four runners teamed together to provisionally qualify and take first place in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:09.52.

Junior Martin Robeck and senior Toby Henkels also set provisional times on the track. Robeck came in second in the mile at 4:04.07 and Henkels earned third in the 800 meters with a time of 1:49.90.

Sophomore Karl Erickson qualified provisionally for the second straight week in the shot put. His throw of 62 feet, 9.50 inches was good enough for third place.

Women’s track

Minnesota’s women’s track and field team captured top honors in the 200-meter dash and boasted the top four spots in the 400-meter dash at the MSU Open in Mankato.

Sophomore Melissa Woltman claimed top prize in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.15, while freshman teammate Kou Luogon finished second with a mark of 25.26.

Minnesota claimed a monopoly on the top four times in the 400-meter dash. Senior Lisa Mickelson led the pack at 56.93. Sophomore Melissa Steele (57.54), senior Amber Day (57.83) and sophomore Liz Woolford (59.12) rounded off the next three spots for the Gophers.

In the distance events, Minnesota was solid with sophomore Kim Magee claimed second in the mile run with a time of 5:16.95 and teammate senior Tanna-Marie Simmons gathered third place at 5:17.24.

In the triple jump, senior Allyson DeVries claimed second with a jump of 11.36 meters. Senior Erica Findlay finished third in the pole vault. Findlay recorded a vault of 11-08.50.