Meetings scheduled to discuss Coffman’s second floor

The Student Unions and Activities’ Board of Governors will host four informal meetings before plans for the second floor are presented on Feb. 15.

Meetings will resume next week to discuss the future of Coffman Union’s second floor cultural centers.

For the more than 800 student groups at the University of Minnesota, space is a hot commodity. Several of the cultural centers and student groups have held their office space on the second floor of Coffman Union since 1999. When questions arose in 2010 over which groups were allocated space, Jerry Rinehart, vice provost for student affairs, asked the Student Unions and Activities’ Board of Governors to look into the space allocation process.

With input from student groups and student leaders, the Board of Governors unveiled a plan for redesigning the second floor last spring to accommodate the existing cultural centers with additional flex space for all other registered student groups to use.

The Board of Governors will host four informal meetings on the second floor for students and student groups interested in the redesign and space allocation process:

Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 12-1 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 4-5 p.m.

Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 4-5 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 12-1 p.m.

Plans for the second floor will be presented Feb. 15 at a town hall meeting starting at 7 p.m.