U Police arrest student

University Police arrested a University student Tuesday for assault after he beaned a passerby with a water balloon, shattering the man’s glasses.
Police did not release the name of the student arrested. The student threw the water balloon from a second-story window of the Sigma Nu fraternity at 307 16th Ave. S.E.
Individuals at the fraternity house declined to comment Tuesday. They did not confirm whether the man arrested was a member of the fraternity.
Mohammad Alahbabi, a 27-year-old student studying English, said he was simply walking down the sidewalk when he was struck in the face by the balloon.
The blow from the balloon destroyed the right lens of his glasses. Paramedics treated Alahbabi near the fraternity.
He was then transported to Hennepin County Medical Center for further medical attention.
Police on the scene told paramedics they were worried he had glass lodged in his eye.
Alahbabi told police that he is not sure that he wants to press criminal charges against the man.
University Police Officer Josh Betts said the student was detained at the police department Tuesday for questioning.

In other police news:
ù University Police arrested four men Friday for shooting out street lights near a parking ramp on the West Bank with a handgun.
The incident is still under investigation, said University Police Sgt. Jo Anne Benson. No formal charges have been made against the men.
Witnesses saw the men, all in their late teens or early 20s, shooting out lights near a parking ramp by the Art Building on the West Bank, according to police reports.
Police responded after they received calls from people claiming they heard gunshots, according to the report.
“They were trying out a new gun,” Benson said.
Police confiscated the handgun from the men.
No one who was arrested is affiliated with the University.

ù University Police arrested a 27-year-old man during a routine traffic stop Feb. 24 after noticing the man had crack cocaine in his possession.
Mitchell Skaar has been charged with fifth-degree felony possession of a controlled substance.
University Police Detective Marianne Olson filed a criminal complaint against Skaar in Hennepin County District Court on Thursday.
According to the complaint, two University Police officers pulled Skaar’s car over near Third Avenue South and West River Parkway because the car’s rear window and tail light were broken.
When the officers approached Skaar, they discovered he did not have a valid driver’s license.
When they put Skaar in the back of the squad car, they noticed a $100 bill pushed behind the seat, according to the complaint.
After Skaar got out of the back of the squad car, the complaint states officers found a rock of suspected crack cocaine in plain view on his seat.
Skaar is not affiliated with the University. He is being held in Hennepin County Jail in lieu of $1,000 bail.
If he is convicted of the charges, he faces up to five years in jail and a $10,000 fine.
Skaar’s criminal record in Hennepin County includes one theft charge in 1998.

ù Minneapolis police arrested two men Friday at a party in Stadium Village.
About 300 people gathered at the house located on the 2000 block of Delaware Street Southeast, according to police reports.
Nathanael Smith, 20, was arrested for disorderly conduct and having a disruptive party. He is not affiliated with the University.
Smith was released after police issued him the citation.
David Morning, 23, was also arrested. Police booked him at Hennepin County Jail because he did not have valid identification, according to police reports.
Morning, not affiliated with the University, was cited for disorderly conduct and unlawful assembly.
According to police reports, Morning challenged police orders and was handcuffed after a “brief wrestling match” with officers.