Suspect in Michigan newspaper shooting caught after gun battle

SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. (AP) — A man suspected of killing a newspaper executive with a shotgun was critically wounded Sunday in a shootout with police, the sheriff’s department said.
Nathan Hanna, who had been missing since the Thursday morning shooting in the offices of The Evening News, was caught around noon just outside the city, police said.
State police and Chippewa County deputies were sent to the area after a resident reported seeing Hanna walk out of the woods carrying a shotgun, county spokesman Michael Hauxwell said.
Officers repeatedly ordered Hanna to drop his weapon, Hauxwell said. Hanna then fired once at the officers, who returned fire and hit Hanna in the abdomen, chest and leg. He was in stable but guarded condition at War Memorial Hospital in Sault Ste. Marie, a hospital supervisor said.
No officers were injured.
Hanna, a 39-year-old carrier for The Evening News, was accused of shooting circulation manager Anthony Gillespie twice in the newspaper’s offices Thursday morning, and a homicide warrant was issued for him.