Royce White heads to Iowa State

White did not play during the entire Gophers men’s basketball season.

Former Minnesota men’s basketball recruit and Mr. Basketball Minnesota Royce White signed a financial agreement to attend Iowa State this season, according to a statement released by the team Monday.

White was the 19th ranked player in the nation coming out of high school in 2009, and was part of Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith’s highly touted recruiting class. White never played a game for the Gophers and left the school in February after legal issues.

“I am aware of Royce’s situation at Minnesota,” Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said in the statement. “I have talked with a lot of people who are close to him, spoken with Royce in person multiple times and feel he is sincerely committed to meeting the expectations we have for our players. On one of his campus visits, Royce also met with institutional staff both inside and outside of the athletics department and he left very positive impressions on everyone.”

Because White left Minnesota in the middle of the spring semester, he did not leave the school in good academic standing. According to the statement, White is in the process of applying for a waiver from the NCAA in order to be eligible to play this season, the results of which are expected later this summer.

“I am very grateful to the administration at Iowa State and Coach Hoiberg and his staff for giving me a chance to attend ISU and pursue a college basketball career,” White said in the statement. “Hopefully, I can play this season and help the program.”

White visited Iowa State last month with his Hopkins high school coach Ken Novak. At the time, White said Baylor and Kentucky were also in the mix.