Two-thirds of Como homes need ventilation

by Nicolas Hallett

General Mills Inc. announced Friday that 111 homes in the Southeast Como neighborhood need ventilation systems to remove toxic vapors.

State health officials notified residents in November that toxic trichloroethylene, or TCE, was seeping into their homes after the food manufacturer dumped the chemical into the soil decades ago, the Minnesota Daily previously reported.

Como residents filed two class-action lawsuits against the Golden Valley-based business in December.

General Mills will pay for the ventilation systems, with 70 already in place. Further testing is expected, the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal reported.

A Minneapolis ordinance requires property owners to inform tenants of contamination testing results. In the wake of the recent TCE outbreak, the City Council proposed to expand the code’s reach and add environmental contamination disclosures in February.

“We’re going back and filling in some gaps that previously should have been filled in,” Ward 3 Councilman Jacob Frey told the Minnesota Daily in February