Police Report: Party patrol sends early message with drinking citations

Also, a former University student tried to lie his way out of his debt.

University of Minnesota police reported more than 25 alcohol-related offenses from Friday to Sunday, citing many in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood for consumption by a minor or for consuming in public.

Chief Greg Hestness saidUMPD usually sees more of this type of offense in the beginning of the academic year than any other time.

âÄúThe first two weeks this year were actually pretty civil âÄî about half as active as the last two years âÄî but this last weekend was kind of back up to normal,âÄù he said.

Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said most of the people picked up by police this weekend were walking down neighborhood sidewalks with open containers.

According to a University police report, an officer assigned to âÄúparty patrolâÄù in an unmarked squad cited one person at the intersection of Rollins and 15th avenues southeast for drinking in public.

The total fine for consumption by a minor in the state of Minnesota is $178, according to state statutes. The fine for drinking in public is $125, according to a spokesperson for Minneapolis.

Miner said the citations are part of UMPDâÄôs effort to curb drinking offenses around the campus neighborhoods.

âÄú[ItâÄôs] something we do every year âÄî when the school year begins in particular âÄî to sort of set the tone,âÄùhe said.

Amelious Whyte, chief of staff at the Office for Student Affairs, said his office is concerned about excessive drinking by students, as it makes students vulnerable not only to crime but to accidents as well.

âÄúWe also worry about students who drink so much that they need medical attention,âÄù Whyte said.

He said freshmen are particularly at risk because they are experimenting and drinking more than they realize.

Ex-student attempts debt fraud

A former University student tried to skip out on student debt by posing as an employee of the Office of Student Finance last week.

According to a University police report, the ex-student contacted the Minnesota Department of Revenue under a false name, requesting to cancel the debt. The department then received an email requesting a âÄúrecallâÄù of a âÄúdebt sent to collection due to an error.âÄù

But the attempt was âÄúfoiledâÄù after the MDOR tried to verify the request with the University on Friday, the report said.

The report also said the student was in default on his debt to the University.

UMPD will not release further details due to an ongoing investigation.