Asbestos

Asbestos poisoning is a common health hazard many of us on campus do not know about. As a campus, we need to recognize the importance of asbestos awareness.

Since a majority of the buildings we visit every day for classes, eating and living were constructed before 1970, they could contain asbestos insulation. If agitated, moved, sanded or cut, this asbestos can become airborne and cause lung cancer.

I have seen ripped or torn asbestos coverings on pipes exposed to the air. With all the building renovation projects around campus, I haven’t seen one warning or bit of public information about asbestos dust.

It would be nice, especially since I live in an old residence hall, to be aware of what really is in my building and what I can do to help keep this hidden risk at a minimum. The sad part about asbestos is that it might take 20 or 30 years for the life-taking symptoms of inhaling asbestos to become evident.

It would be in the best interest of students, teachers, and all who are a part of the University to know the current laws, safety standards and potential health risks surrounding asbestos.

Pete Macken, sophomore, College of Liberal Arts