U student dies of carbon monoxide poisoning on boat

Robert Koch

Christopher Jordan, an Institute of Technology freshman, died June 10 on the Mississippi River near his hometown of La Crosse, Wisc. He was 19.
Jordan died of carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping on a boat anchored off an island near La Crosse. A leaky generator on the 31-foot cabin cruiser might have been the cause.
A 22-year-old man also died; a 19-year-old man was hospitalized afterward.
Jordan was camping on the river with friends.
“He died in the place he loved,” said friend and fellow University student Matthew LoCascio. “He died on the water.”
LoCascio said he and Jordan had just spent the previous weekend water-skiing and wakeboarding at LoCascio’s cabin near Green Bay, Wisc.
Several dozen University students attended Jordan’s funeral in La Crosse on Wednesday, including Jacob Bauer, Jordan’s roommate from Territorial Hall.
“He was best friends to everyone,” Bauer said. “There was nobody he would not let into his life.”
Jordan, who was studying engineering, had celebrated his 19th birthday two days before the accident occurred, Bauer added.

Robert Koch welcomes comments at [email protected]