Students discuss gameday events for TCF Bank Stadium

Tailgating will be allowed in designated surface lots with season parking pass.

For the past few years, student representatives have met with University of Minnesota officials to discuss TCF Bank Stadium . Most recently, with the stadium near completion and the first game only months away, the committee has been discussing the types of activities that will take place on game days. Amelious Whyte , chief of staff in the Office of Student Affairs, said students are less interested in pregame events planned by the University. âÄúStudents havenâÄôt come forward and said âÄòwe want you to do X,âÄôâÄù Whyte said. However, Whyte said committee members think students will find their own activities to attend or student groups will organize events. At FridayâÄôs committee meeting âÄî the last meeting of the semester âÄî Whyte said the members will develop a survey for last yearâÄôs student season ticket holders asking about their interest in potential activities. âÄúIt costs money to rent space or bring in equipment,âÄù Whyte said. âÄúWe want to know that itâÄôs something students are interested in before we expend those resources and then not have people show up.âÄù Laurie McLaughlin , director of housing and residential life, said students in residence halls expressed interest in a live music performance or an event with an entertainer on game days. Co-chair of the Game Day Operations Tailgate Subcommittee June Nobbe said the tailgating policy has been finalized. Tailgating, she said, will be allowed on designated surface lots for people who have purchased a season parking pass for those lots. Nobbe said alcohol consumption will be permitted for anyone of legal age, but kegs will not be allowed. People can begin tailgating six hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 a.m., Nobbe said, and can continue for four hours after the game, but no later than midnight. She said there is a perception that tailgating can get out of control, but the committeeâÄôs goal is to create a safe activity for all ages. âÄúIf you travel to other campuses and see the tailgating that occurs, itâÄôs very family-friendly and itâÄôs very much a community-building kind of activity,âÄù Nobbe said. âÄúThatâÄôs exactly what weâÄôre going to try to achieve.âÄù In addition to nonvehicle tailgating, Nobbe said the McNamara Alumni Center will be used for activities both inside and outside. Dustin Norman , a student representative on the Student Stadium Advisory Committee, said ideas that have come up include having booths set up to sell merchandise and integrating local businesses into game days. Adam Reichow , a student-athlete on the committee, said because having a stadium on campus is new to students, it will take time for game day to develop. âÄúThings arenâÄôt going to be perfect right away probably,âÄù he said. âÄúBut weâÄôre going to make sure it evolves into the best game day atmosphere in the country.âÄù