Tate fire caused by electrical issue

No one was injured in Wednesday morning’s fire.

by Nick Wicker

Wednesday’s fire at the Tate Laboratory of Physics was caused by an electrical issue associated with the renovation of the 90-year-old building.

The fire began at around 10:20 a.m. and three Minneapolis Fire Department trucks responded and put the fire out quickly, said University Spokesman Steve Henneberry.

A pair of text message alerts from the University was sent to University students informing them of the incident and warning that Church Street Southeast was closed to vehicle traffic. Another message was sent in the afternoon to notify students traffic was again open on the street.

No one was injured in the “very small” fire, Henneberry said.

The Tate renovations began in September and are set for completion in 2017.