Men’s hockey forward Welch academically eligible for fall

Minnesota men’s hockey forward Dan Welch has restored his eligibility and will play this fall for the defending national champions, coach Don Lucia said.

After becoming academically eligible for spring semester and helping the Gophers win the national title, the junior lost his eligibility and needed appropriate grades in summer session classes to rejoin the team.

“He was an important part of our team the second half of last season and I expect him to continue that this season,” Lucia said. “To his credit, he got done what he needed to take care of.”

Welch’s career at Minnesota has been marked with numerous eligibility issues.

The Hastings native missed two games his freshman year with academic troubles.

Following his first season, Welch was suspended by the University in August 2000.

Welch began taking classes again last summer but failed to regain his eligibility for the fall semester. Welch rejoined the Gophers last January, 17 months after his suspension.

In 19 games last season, Welch scored four goals and added seven assists.

Dyer has stress reaction

Minnesota women’s cross country runner Lisa Dyer, the Gophers top runner at the NCAA Midwest Regionals last season, has a stress reaction, an MRI revealed Wednesday night.

The sophomore will take next week off before her status for the season is re-evaluated. If she isn’t able to compete, she will redshirt.

“We are disappointed,” coach Gary Wilson said. “This is the best of the worst news. We have diagnosed it and at least it wasn’t a fracture and it wasn’t broken.

“We need to be smart with it now and not rush it.”

Dyer is the second runner among the Gophers top six whose season might be cut short. Senior captain Anita Menden is recovering from a leg injury and could be ready to compete later this month.

The first peek at the women’s cross country team comes Saturday at 11 a.m. at Les Bolstad Course for the intrasquad scrimmage.

The NCAA Division I national cross country poll released Thursday has the Gophers women’s team ranked 17th in the nation.

Adam Fink welcomes comments at [email protected]