Volleyball signs two to National Letters of Intent

Karlie Hauer and Lindsey Lawmaster will join the Gophers volleyball program in 2012 after signing National Letters of Intent to play for Minnesota, interim head coach Laura Bush has announced.

Hauer is a 5-foot-11-inch outside hitter from Andover, Minn. She led the Huskies to a third-place finish in the state tournament in November and earned all-state honors as well as a spot on the Star Tribune’s All-Metro Team.

She was a two-time all-conference selection, and finished her career with 1445 kills, 637 digs, 224 blocks and 125 aces while hitting .333.

“I chose the University of Minnesota for multiple reasons,” Hauer said in a release. “I wanted to go to a large campus that had great academic opportunities and still be able to play volleyball at a high level of competition. Along with great tradition, the coaching I will receive and the current members of the team, I felt Minnesota was the place to be.”

Lawmaster is a 5-foot-5-inch libero from Los Alamitos, Calif. She has played for Los Alamitos High School, the TCA Volleyball club, the California Beach Volleyball Association and USA Volleyball in both indoor and beach. As a participant in USA Volleyball’s High Performance Championships, she earned gold medals in 2008 and 2009 with the South California Red Team.

In high school, she had a 94 percent passing rate and collected 177 digs.

“I’m always open to change, and the fact that Minnesota is the polar opposite of Southern California really attracted me to the school,” Lawmaster said in the release. “I also felt that the coaching staff is one of the best in the nation especially with the addition of Hugh McCutcheon starting my freshman year.”

McCutcheon will join the team as the full-time head coach in September 2012 after he completes his stint with the U.S. women’s national volleyball team at the 2012 Olympics.