Changing AP credit policy

Stricter guidelines may force students to evaluate colleges differently.

Daily Editorial Board

The Minnesota Daily recently reported that the University of Minnesota is considering changing its Advanced Placement credit policy to only allow scores of four and five on the AP exam for college credit and no longer accept a score of three as it currently does. The article also reported that “more than half of Big Ten schools accept mostly fours or fives for credit.”

As an increasing number of high school students are participating in AP courses and achieving high scores on exams, universities across the nation seem to be revisiting their AP credit policies. Dartmouth College recently decided to discontinue giving out college credit for high AP exam scores completely, beginning with the class of 2018.

Widespread and controversial changes to AP credit policy, like the changes at Dartmouth, come with universities’ concerns that college credit is given out too easily and for work that is not truly at the level of a college course.

Whether these suggestions are a reality or not, restricting the University’s AP credit policy could have a significant influence on the number and type of student applicants. A stricter policy might also impact some students’ decisions to enroll here, as tuition cost and time until graduation are also factors affected by the number of credits a student may be awarded.

If high school students don’t feel confident that they will be able to achieve a high enough score to get college credit, a change may also deter them from enrolling in AP classes, possibly lowering their level of college readiness.

While it is important that college credit is given out fairly to all students, we hope that careful consideration of prospective and current students’ interests will be undertaken before actual changes are made in the University’s AP credit policy.