Man disrupts campus Islam event

An unidentified man disrupted the “Meet Your Muslim Neighbor” program, which is part of Islam Awareness Week, on campus Monday, according to a police report.

“(The man) came in harassing us, accusing people of being terrorists,” University professor David Mulla said.

According to police reports, the man, who witnesses described as being mentally disturbed, was removed from the event and served with a trespass warning effective for 30 days.

University police Deputy Chief Steve Johnson said the only thing police can do in situations such as these is remove the person from the area because they have not committed a crime until they start making threats.

ï

University police are investigating an incident in which a University student was a victim of check forgery.

According to a police report, the student’s checkbook was stolen out of the mail before it reached its proper destination in India.

Someone using the student’s name forged two checks worth a combined $11,000 in the past week to the Bank of India, police officials said.

Johnson said University police took the report even though the forgeries happened in India because banks generally require a police report before they assist customers with recovering stolen money.

ï

The University’s golf course had three golf carts stolen this week.

Christopher Korbol, the golf course’s program director, said this is only the second time this has happened in the 15 years he has been at the University.

The three carts, valued at $4,500 each, were taken from a storage area at the golf course and were recovered and returned late this week, Korbol said.

Police officials said one of the carts was found when an off-duty University police officer saw the cart parked close to the officer’s neighbor’s garage.

ï

University police responded Saturday to a report of a man who had locked himself inside a room in the Mayo Building.

According to police reports, the man refused to come out and Facilities Management had to break the door to gain entry.

ï

A University police squad car was damaged this week when officers struck a pole while responding to a call, according to a police report.

Officers filed a state accident report for the incident.