Gophers acknowledged for strong season

Freshmen receive All-American honors, McCallum named district player of the year.

After just the ninth 40-win season in Gophers baseball history, individual accolades are starting to be awarded to recognize the teamâÄôs efforts. Outfielder Justin Gominsky (Mahtomedi, Minn.), first baseman Nick O’Shea (Blaine) and shortstop AJ Pettersen (Minnetonka) were recognized as âÄúLouisville SluggersâÄù Freshmen All-Americans . The three newcomers also received Big-Ten honors. Gominsky and OâÄôShea were named to the All-Big Ten Freshmen team. Pettersen, in addition to being named to the All-Big Ten Freshmen team, was named to the All-Big Ten Second-Team. While 11 teams had multiple honorees, Minnesota was the only program to have three freshmen make the list . It is the first time since 2006 that a Gophers freshman has made the team, when Matt Nohelty (Rothschild, Wis.) received the honor. The Gophers have had seven players named to the Freshman All-American team since 2003. In addition to the freshman awards, senior-to-be Derek McCallum, coming off a stellar season that saw him lead the Big Ten in most offensive categories including home runs, slugging percentage, hits and total bases , nabbed some awards. McCallum was named the District V Player of the Year by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers of America . District V consists of players from schools in Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana. McCallum was also named Second-Team All-Ping. Ping baseball is a website that posts ranks NCAA baseball players and teams. The Gophers second baseman was also a unanimous selection for First-Team All-Big Ten. His performance in the postseason, where he hit .459 with three home runs and 14 RBI in nine postseason games âÄî Big Ten and regional tournaments âÄî earned him spots on both the Big Ten and NCAA Regional All-Tournament teams.