University to remain in phase 3 of Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan

University leaders delayed the transition from phase 3 to phase 4 of the Maroon and Sunrise plan due to increased COVID cases in Minnesota.
Image by Sarah Mai

In an email addressed to students and parents, the University announced that it will remain in phase three of the Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan.

The email, sent by University Services Vice President Mike Berthelsen, said the decision resulted from a notable increase in COVID-19 cases across the state and within Hennepin and Ramsey counties.

“This decision will enhance our abilities to safeguard the health of our students, staff and faculty and monitor the spread of COVID-19 within the state and nationally,” the email read.

Phase three of the Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan grants first-year students full access to campus, the greater community and to community spaces of dorms at any time of the day, while respecting occupancy signs and other requirements. The protocol also allows students to have up to two guests from their residence hall in a room at a time but still has a midnight curfew.

Phase four, the final step of the Maroon and Gold Sunrise plan, would have granted students access to any dining hall, allowed guests from outside of a residence hall and would not have had door monitoring or a “back home” time.

University leaders expect to make more announcements in the coming weeks. Students are still advised to wear face coverings indoors and outdoors when social distancing is difficult, and remain six feet apart from one another.