Mask requirements lifted on campus, UMN students express happiness

Some students said they enjoy the freedom of not having to wear a mask in certain areas on campus.
Image by David Stager
University student Nick Johnson poses for a portrait outside of McNamara Alumni Center on Sunday, April 10.

Being able to see people’s faces on campus is nice for second-year student Nick Johnson because getting to know his classmates is easier.

​​”I feel like a lot of the times you have classes with people and outside the class you’d have no idea,” Johnson said. “You could see them in public and have no idea you sit right across from them.”

Johnson is able to see his classmate’s faces as a result of the lifted mask requirements in some areas on the University of Minnesota campus, which took effect March 21. Although masks are still required in classrooms, they are no longer mandatory in common areas, dining settings, offices and entertainment and sporting events.

At the March 31 University Senate meeting, President Joan Gabel said administration will reevaluate masking requirements and consider making further changes at the end of the semester.

University staff and faculty have voiced concerns over the updated mask requirements and have expressed worry over the spread of COVID-19 on campus.

Gabel said the University could have lifted the mask mandate in classrooms, but opted not to in order to stay consistent with previous University guidance put into place at the beginning of the semester.

“From a public health point of view in terms of our consistent decision making around following CDC guidance, which I know not everyone agrees with, and I appreciate that, [this] has been how we have been making our decisions all along,” Gabel said at the meeting.

Some students said they generally feel comfortable with the changes in policy.

“Masks can be annoying,” first-year student Teresa Campbell said. “It’s nice after such a long time of having to wear them to be able to not while inside and also [being able to] see other people.”

Third-year student Siddarth Iyer said it doesn’t make sense to require masks in classrooms, when students can sit in Coffman Union, for example, for multiple hours without wearing a mask.

“I’m comfortable with [the update],” Iyer said. “Obviously, it’s a privilege to be able to say that because as a person with a vaccine and the booster, I’m not too concerned about getting COVID anymore.”

Third-year student, Nikhil Kumaran, said he is surprised the University changes were only made for some areas on campus, such as in dining halls, but not in classrooms.

Although most students said they prefer not wearing a mask, they do not have an issue with wearing a mask in spaces where they are still required or to protect the safety of others.

“I would obviously wear one if someone had asked me to or there were people who were uncomfortable around me,” Campbell said.

Third-year student Anoushka Sunkum said her decision on whether to wear a mask or not is dependent on avoiding feeling like an outcast in the room, even in spaces where they are not mandatory.

“If you were in a space that didn’t require masks, and you’re the only person wearing a mask, people would look at you funny and vice versa,” Sunkum said.

Some students said they would be open to mask requirements being lifted in classes in the future. Iyer said he believes it is a step in the direction of lifting mask requirements completely.

“I don’t think it would make me uncomfortable and I know that there’s probably plenty of people that would still wear masks and that’s completely their choice, and I’m totally fine with that,” Campbell said.

Although most students said they feel comfortable with the update, there are still concerns about the spread of COVID-19 on campus.

“I’m a little bit nervous that since everybody has their mask off, there could be more risk of COVID spreading,” Sunkum said. “But to be completely honest, I feel like from what I know, the cases on campus here seem pretty under control, so I’m supportive of the new policy.”