Women’s basketball starts season strong with two wins

Freshman Mara Braun has been leading the Gophers with her long range shooting.
Image by Ethan Fine
Guard Mara Braun charges for the basket during the Gophers’ game against Lehigh, Nov. 13, 2022.

Nov. 7 vs. Western Illinois

The Gophers opened their season against the Western Illinois Leathernecks at Williams Arena last week. The last time these two teams met was 1997 when the Gophers won 88-52 in Minneapolis.

The game started with two free throws from sophomore Alanna Micheaux. Minnesota, however, trailed 5-2 midway through the first quarter, just before freshman Mara Braun would spice things up for the Gophers, scoring nine points in the span of less than four minutes.

The first half was largely owned by Braun, Katie Borowicz and Micheaux. Braun had 11 points, six rebounds and three steals; Borowicz had eight points; and Micheaux had eight boards and six points. Minnesota led at the half 38-15.

Throughout the game, it was clear Borowicz was in the zone. Despite missing her first three-point attempt, she was 2-2 in the second and third quarters.

Monday was Borowicz’s first official game in 600 days. She missed the entirety of last season due to an injury but managed to hit a career high of 16 points.

She wasn’t the only one to set a career high. Micheaux had a double-double with 14 points and a career high of 13 rebounds.

True freshmen Mallory Heyer and Amaya Battle also contributed to the Gophers’ 54-37 rebounding advantage, with both earning eight boards.

Braun put up 21 points, which is the third most points for a freshman in their collegiate debut. The Gophers’ freshmen combined to score 35 of the 75 points for Minnesota.

All of the efforts put out on the court Monday culminated in a 75-45 win for the Maroon & Gold over Western Illinois.

Nov. 13 vs. Lehigh

Minnesota played host to Lehigh University of the Patriot League on Sunday.

The game started with the Gophers recording the first four points, but Lehigh stayed with them and took a 17-10 lead at the time of the first media timeout.

The Gophers stayed aggressive, as Michaeux had a 7-2 scoring run late in the first quarter. After one period of play, the Gophers lagged 25-20.

Freshman Maggie Czinano’s and Braun’s jump shots helped to give the Gophers the lead at 32-31. Braun scored eight points in the second quarter, including two three-point shots.

The Mountain Hawks were able to retake their lead after sophomore Meghan O’Brien made a pivotal layup

Heading into the half, the Gophers were still behind 42-39 but cut their deficit to three.

Braun continued to prove herself as a menace on the court, scoring 14 points to give the Gophers the lead again at 56-54. Lehigh responded with a 10-5 scoring run of their own to lead 75-69 in the final 10 minutes of play.

The Gophers had been trailing most of the game, but the fourth quarter had two teams going back and forth in a very exciting final quarter of play. There were five lead changes in the final minute.

In a tense moment, Czinano grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled with 17 seconds left to play. She made one of two free throws, and the Gophers trailed by one.

With 1.7 seconds left to play, Minnesota put the ball in Battle’s hands, where she passed it to the near side wing to Braun.

It was at this moment when Braun hit a game-winning buzzer beater that left Williams Arena in shock as jaws dropped and celebrations began. Minnesota survived 101-99.

“At first, I thought it was actually going to hit the inside of the rim,” Braun said. “Then all of a sudden, I turn and everyone is just rushing at me and the place was just loud. It was a really cool feeling.”

That shot will be an unforgettable moment for Braun. She is quickly proving herself to be a valuable asset to the team. The Gophers will travel to Fargo, North Dakota, next to take on the North Dakota State Bison on Thursday.