Black History Month dinner focuses on early Muslim community lessons

The dinner took place in Coffman Union’s Great Hall and provided opportunities for students to learn about history and the importance of diversity and identity.
Image by Sarah Mai

The Muslim Students Association’s (MSA) seventh annual Black History Month dinner at Coffman Union Thursday featured lessons from the early Muslim community as well as art presentations by Oromo visual artist Lokho Kotile and poet Abdirahman Warsame. About 200 students attended the event. 

According to the University of Minnesota’s Office of Institutional Data and Research, on average over the past five years, there have been about 3,330 students that identify as Black on the Twin Cities campus. MSA Vice President Nura Agami said she hopes MSA decides to hold this event again in the future. 

“I think it’s a very amazing event,” Agami said. “It should always be a priority to have because a lot of Muslims are Black.” 

Ustadha Faduma Warsame, one of the speakers and MSA chaplain, spoke at the dinner about race and diversity in the early Muslim community.

“We understand that the early Muslim community was a very diverse community, and they all worked together in service to the community and service to God,” Warsame said. ”By being able to understand our past, we’re able to enliven within us, set off the flame of love for one another, love for God and service to Allah, and service to the community. 

Agami said the group decided to hold the event because it is important to recognize the intersection of being Black in America and the value of tolerance in Islam. 

“I think in Islam, it’s very clear that all races are equal, but unfortunately, how Islam plays out today, it’s not always the case, and it’s important to remind the ummah (Muslim word for nation) this is an essential part of what it means to be Muslim,” Agami said. ”You accept everyone regardless of their culture.” 

Agami said holding events like the dinner is necessary because prominent Black Muslim figures can be neglected in students’ academic studies.

“I think it’s important to educate Muslims on campus about the intersection between being Black and also Islam. I think it’s sometimes neglected in our studies,” Agami said. “And sometimes we forget how to treat those who are different than us in culture and it’s a good reminder to celebrate and remind ourselves how to act towards everyone.”

Freshman Yusra Bedel decided to attend the event because of its emphasis on community and history. 

“I came to attend this event because of the connection and the community that it brings together because it’s Black History Month,” Bedel said. “So overall, it’s just a way to vocalize the fact that the community exists and that we’re here for our history to be known.”

Minneapolis Council Member Robin Wonsley Worlobah (Ward 2), who represents the University area, attended and said these types of events foster connection and belonging within the community. 

“Events like this really show that not only do you belong, but that you have a vibrant community that is here to recognize you, but also to center your cultural values…to tackle deep issues,” Wonsley Worlobah said. 

Warsame said these types of events foster opportunities for students and provide them advantages when learning about these kinds of topics of community and culture. 

“I truly believe that in the community, there are opportunities to connect and learn and grow with one another, but events like this give people the opportunity to learn something new about a different culture, a different experience, a different history that they may have not for whatever reason had the experience to learn about,” Warsame said.