Letters to the Editor & Op-Eds

Letters to the Editor

The Minnesota Daily publishes a diversity of viewpoints and voices in our letters. Letters to the editor should be no more than 400 words and should be in direct response to an article published within the last 14 days. All letters must include the writer’s name, address and phone number for verification. If facts, statistics or quotes are utilized, credible sources must be included.

All letters to the editor should be submitted to [email protected]. Submission does not guarantee publication.

Letters should be exclusive to the Minnesota Daily, and authors should provide a one-sentence biography to accompany the piece. Letters to the editor that have already been published by other news publications will not be republished. The Daily does not accept letters to the editor from organizations on behalf of another individual, except in rare circumstances; submissions should be an original product created by the submitter. Please only submit letters to the editor if you are the author and if you want your name included in the byline.

Authors of letters to the editors selected for publication will be notified within 10 days of submission. Letters may be edited for AP and Minnesota Daily Style Guides, length and clarity. Selected pieces will be published with a clearly defined “Letter to the Editor” label included before the headline.

Op-Ed Essays

The Minnesota Daily offers a platform for University of Minnesota community members to convey their thoughts and opinions. Op-Ed essays can include commentary on current events, personal essays or reflections, and explanatory pieces, among others. Unlike letters to the editor, Op-Ed essays can be longer and should not be in direct response to a previously published piece. The content of Op-Eds should be relevant to University students, staff and faculty.

All Op-Ed essays should be submitted to [email protected]. Submission does not guarantee publication.

Opinion pieces should be exclusive to the Minnesota Daily and should be less than 800 words. Authors should provide a one-sentence biography to accompany their writing. If any facts, statistics or quotes are utilized, credible sources must be included. OpEds are subject to the same rigorous fact-checking that all other Daily content is. The Daily reserves the right to edit all Op-Eds for style, space, libel and grammar.

The Daily does not accept opinion pieces from organizations on behalf of another individual, except in rare circumstances; submissions should be an original product created by the submitter. Content that was originally written as a class essay can be submitted, but must have a tangible link to the University community, like other op-eds. Please only submit Op-Ed essays if you are the author and if you want your name included in the byline.

Authors of opinion pieces selected for publication will be notified within 10 days of submission. Submissions may be edited for AP and Minnesota Daily Style Guides, length and clarity.

Selected pieces will be published with a clearly defined “Editorial” label included before the headline.