Letters to the Editor & Op-Eds

Letters to the Editor

The Minnesota Daily publishes a diversity of viewpoints and voices in our letters. Letters to the editor should be no more than 400 words, and should be in direct response to an article published within the last 14 days. All letters must include the writer’s name, address and phone number for verification. If facts, statistics or quotes are utilized, credible sources must be included.

All letters to the editor should be submitted to [email protected]. Submission does not guarantee publication.

Letters should be exclusive to the Minnesota Daily, and authors should provide a one sentence biography to accompany the piece. Letters to the editor that have already been published by other news publications will not be republished.

Authors of letters to the editors selected for publication will be notified within 10 days of submission. Letters may be edited for AP and Minnesota Daily Style Guides, length and clarity. Selected pieces will be published with a clearly defined “Letter to the Editor” label included before the headline.

Op-Ed Essays

The Minnesota Daily offers a platform for University of Minnesota community members to convey their thoughts and opinions. Op-Ed essays can include commentary on current events, personal essays or reflections, and explanatory pieces, among others. Unlike letters to the editor, Op-Ed essays can be longer and should not be in direct response to a previously published piece. The content of Op-Eds should be relevant to University students, staff and faculty.

All Op-Eds should be submitted to [email protected]. Submission does not guarantee publication.

Opinion pieces should be exclusive to the Minnesota Daily and may be between no more than 800 words. Authors should provide a one sentence biography to accompany their writing.

If any facts, statistics or quotes are utilized, credible sources must be included. The Daily reserves the right to edit all Op-Eds for style, space, libel and grammar.

Authors of opinion pieces selected for publication will be notified within 10 days of submission. Submissions may be edited for AP and Minnesota Daily Style Guides, length and clarity.

Selected pieces will be published with a clearly defined “Opinion” label included before the headline.