Gophers strong at Big Ten championship

TheyâÄôre ending it the way they hoped. The Gophers sent almost an entire team to compete among the Big TenâÄôs best this weekend, the teamâÄôs last tournament before the break between seasons. The Big Ten singles was truly an individual tournament, but like always, the team stuck together. Freshman Ishay Hadash and Sophomore Derek Peterson were the only two Minnesota players not along for the ride to Madison. The team has reason to cheer each other on entering the spring season. Four of the GopherâÄôs nine made it to the third round of the tournament, displaying the gained strength and huge improvements that they will carry into the spring season. Beating opponents from Iowa and Indiana, the tournamentâÄôs top seeded player, MinnesotaâÄôs own Tobias Wernet joined three other Gophers in the third round level of play. A true measure of strength was the rare fact that two Minnesota players will be facing off against each other. Junior Dino Bilankov and freshman Phillip Arndt will battle it out today to determine which one will have the chance to play in a televised fourth round match. Sophomore Sebastian Gallego posted two dominant wins over Iowa opponents to also land him a spot in the third round. These matches were scheduled for Sunday and results were undetermined. GallegoâÄôs two Iowa wins brought the total to four for the GophersâÄô final remaining players. A break ahead, MinnesotaâÄôs improved and accomplished team will pick it up again when they host Marquette on their home surface at Baseline.