Student group gives a Valentine to the community

Aside from the typical Valentine’s Day box of chocolates, red roses, and last minute dinner reservations (as well as maybe scrambling to find a date in general), one student group on campus is transcending the norm and is instead doing a favor for the community.

The Mortar Board, a panel of senior University of Minnesota students committed to scholarship, leadership, and service, is hosting their first annual Valentine’s Day Sweetheart dinner tonight, Feb. 14, from 5-7:30 p.m. in Coffman Union’s Great Hall Ballroom.

“The Mortar Board is really about appreciating people,” Kasey Brown, an alumni advisor, said. “Since Valentine’s Day is a commercial holiday, the implications for us are not only to think about ways we can appreciate loved ones and family, but also to look at the big picture and give back to the community.”

The donations from the dinner will go toward community service projects, such as funding charities for kids’ book drives. Profits from fundraisers are also used for orientation and initiation so new members can help serve in the group’s other community service activities, such as tutoring in schools.

The dinner will be catered by D’Amico and Sons. Tickets will be available for sale for $20 at the door.