Pageant crowns new Mr. Superblock

Parading down the catwalk in a fruit-covered swimsuit was University sophomore and soon-to-be Mr. Superblock Micah Frerck.

Half an hour later, Frerck had won the contest sponsored by Students Today, Leaders Forever, a year-old University leadership organization. The group hosted its second annual Mr. Superblock male beauty pageant Monday in Coffman Union’s Great Hall.

“I feel like a little kid. I’m so excited and still beside myself,” Frerck said after being crowned the 2005 Mr. Superblock.

Frerck won a year-long round-trip ticket to Europe and a first-class rail pass from STA Travel. STA Travel and television station KMWB sponsored the event.

Twelve contestants donned their best evening wear in the pageant’s first of four rounds of competition. Male students were also judged and eliminated based on talent and “crazy swimwear.”

First-year students Ashley Borree and Alissa Almquist agreed the skills category was the most entertaining.

A final mystery round shocked many in attendance, when contestants were required to read aloud a randomly selected children’s book to the audience in three minutes.

A panel of six judges, headed by Amelious Whyte, an Office of Student Affairs official, scored the 12 contestants. Whyte, a returning member of the judging panel, said he enjoys the contest’s creativity.

“It’s fun to see the energy and enthusiasm people put into the event,” Whyte said.

The first pageant raised approximately $200, said Mi Yong Kim, a committee member. All proceeds fund the student group’s Pay It Forward Tour, a spring break community service road trip.

“We don’t view the event as a fund-raiser, rather a way to promote campus life,” Kim said.

Student group members formed a committee to plan the event, which began in early February, said Laura Wallace, a committee member.

Changes made to improve the pageant included more decorations in the Great Hall and organized activities to fill time between pageant categories, said Nick Lindberg, a committee member.

“Last year’s event was pretty low-key. We want to create a more exciting superblock atmosphere,” Lindberg said.

The University dance team performed during the event, as did 7 Days, an a cappella choir.

Between rounds of competition, Students Today, Leaders Forever also presented sequential clips of a video explaining the creation of Mr. Superblock’s crown and its journey to Coffman Union.