Men’s hockey voted second by conference coaches

Practice ended about a half an hour early Monday for Minnesota’s men’s hockey team following a grueling weekend of two-a-days. But not many in the league believe the Gophers aren’t getting it done.

In the 31st annual WCHA preseason coaches’ poll released Monday, Minnesota is ranked second behind Colorado College. The Tigers received six first place votes with the Gophers receiving three. Third-place North Dakota – who Minnesota plays on Friday in a non-conference game – received one first place vote.

“(Colorado College) is who I voted for, and for me it was easy,” Gophers coach Don Lucia said. “They only lost one forward and they have a lot of seniors. To me, they should be the team to beat.”

Lucia said being rated second rather than at the top has no true meaning.

“I don’t really think it makes much of a difference one way or the other,” he said. “You still have to go prove it on the ice.”

Tigers forward Mark Cullen edged teammate Peter Sejna for preseason player of the year honors. Minnesota defenseman Keith Ballard was a landslide choice for preseason rookie of the year with eight of 10 votes.

ï Lucia tentatively named John Pohl, Jeff Taffe, Matt Koalska and Jake Fleming as the centers for the four lines to start the season.

He also said that goaltender Adam Hauser will start at least three of Minnesota’s five non-conference games. Lucia would like to redshirt one of his two freshmen goaltenders, Travis Weber or Justin Johnson, although he said a definite decision has not been made.

Volleyball drops four spots

The Minnesota volleyball team dropped four spots in the latest USA Today/AVCA Division I Coaches poll this week. The Gophers fell from 17th to 21st after losing matches to unranked Michigan and Michigan State last weekend.

Minnesota has a record of 8-4 overall, and 2-2 in the Big Ten.

Three conference foes are currently ranked ahead of the Gophers. Wisconsin is ranked No. 6 followed by Penn State and Ohio State at 10th and 11th, respectively.

2001-02 wrestling tickets on sale

Minnesota wrestling season and single match tickets for the 2001-02 season went on sale Monday.

On Oct. 8, tickets go on sale for the match against archrival Iowa at the Target Center.

University students can purchase season tickets for $30 by calling (612) 624-8080.

The Gophers begin the season with the Bison Open, Nov. 10 in Fargo, N.D.

Rose third at tennis meet

Senior Andrea Rose was the only winner for the Gophers women’s tennis team Sunday at the Lady Rebels Tennis Tournament in Las Vegas.

Rose brought home a third place finish in Flight Three singles.

Sophomores Valerie Vladea and Brandi Watts both earned fourth place finishes for the weekend.

The Gophers next head to Houston to compete in the Rice Invitational on Friday.

Men’s golf finishes second

The Minnesota men’s golf team finished in second place Sunday at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The Gophers were in first place to begin Sunday, but they could not hold off Baylor, finishing five strokes behind the Bears.

Sophomore Simon Nash led the Gophers, finishing in a tie for seventh place.

Wilhelm Shauman, the events defending champion, finished tied for ninth.

The Gophers next compete in the Adams Cup on Tuesday in Rhode Island.

Lesnar returns home

Former Minnesota wrestler and 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has been added to the wrestling card for the WWF event this Sunday at the Xcel Energy Center.

Lesnar joined the WWF just over a year ago. Currently Lesnar is in Kentucky competing for Ohio Valley Wrestling.

The All-American wrestler competed for the Gophers until graduating in 2000.