SPECIAL ISSUE: How do you vote?

Voters line up outside of First Congressional Church in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood on Nov. 8, 2016. Polls opened at 7 a.m. and hundreds of voters came out early to cast their votes.

Maddy Fox, Daily File Photo

Tiffany Bui

Minnesota residents that are 18 years or older and US citizens have a variety of voting options. Here’s how students can be prepared to cast their ballot. 

First: locate your polling place

The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State has a search function on its website to locate voting places. It’s simple, as students can search via their addresses. After finding the location, make sure to show up between 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. to cast a vote.

Next: registering to vote

The deadline to register online or on paper has passed. But Minnesota allows voters to register at the polls on Election Day. 

Students should list their voting address at the residence they currently consider home, according to the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State website. This can be a school address or a parent’s house. 

Students who moved to Minnesota from another state may also vote if they have lived in Minnesota for at least 20 days prior to the election. All voters must re-register after an address or name change, or if they have not voted in four years. 

Last: showing up to vote

Students registering on Nov. 6 will need to bring one of the following for proof of residence: 

• ID with current name and address
  • Photo ID and a document with a current name and address
  • A registered voter who can confirm your address
  • UCard for those living in student housing
  • Valid registration in the same precinct
  • Notice of late registration.