McLean earns Big Ten athlete of week honors

Defending NCAA champion James McLean was named Big Ten athlete of the week on Wednesday for his efforts in last weekend’s Compaq U.S. Collegiate Golf Championships.
McLean tied for third individually in the tournament, which featured one of the top regular-season fields in collegiate golf.
The Wahgunjah, Victoria, Australia native has a scoring average of 70.5 in 20 rounds this season. The Collegiate Golf Championships were McLean’s sixth top-ten finish in seven tournaments this season.
Hockey signs two tenders
The men’s hockey program has announced the signing of two top Minnesota student-athletes to letters of intent to play for the Gophers beginning in the 1999-2000 season.
Nick Anthony, a 5-10, 175-pound center from Shattuck St. Mary’s High School in Fairbault finished the 1998-99 season with 16 goals and 39 assists for the Twin Cities Vulcans of the USHL. He tied for 10th place in the league with 55 points.
“Nick can help other players develop their game,” associate head coach Mike Guentzel said. “He will probably have more assists than (former Gophers All-American Mike) Crowley did in his freshman year. He has great balance in his game.”
Pete Samargia, a 6-3, 175-pound goaltender from Eveleth, Minn., posted a 16-25 record for the Vulcans, with a 3.98 GAA and a .80 save percentage. He led Eveleth High School to the 1998 Minnesota State Class A Championship.
“Pete can create some depth (at goalie),” Guentzel said. “He has some great intangible qualities, and given the opportunity, he can be pretty good. Pete thinks he’s better (than Adam Hauser).”
20 athletes honored
Big Ten swimming champion Terri Jashinsky tops the list of 20 Minnesota winter athletes were honored as Academic All-Big Ten selections.
In addition to winning the Big Ten title in the 100-yard butterfly, Jashinsky earned honorable All-American honors in four events at the NCAA Championships.
Gymnast Megan Skokut is the only Big Ten female athlete in a winter sport to hold a perfect 4.0 grade point average.
Honorable mention All-Big Ten selection Sonja Robinson represented the Gophers women’s basketball team.
Lehman honorary chair
The Minnesota men’s athletics department has announced that former three-time All-American golfer Tom Lehman has agreed to serve as the Honorary Chairman of the 1999 NCAA Men’s Golf Championships from June 2-5 at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska.
“I am extremely excited to be a part of one of the best amateur golf events in the country,” Lehman said. “I’m extremely proud of what the men’s golf program at my alma mater has accomplished, and I’m looking forward to seeing the best collegiate golfers in one of the elite events in the nation.”