Protecting its children from alcohol

The University will allow only premium ticket holders to purchase drinks.

I am amazed at the utter lack of outrage on behalf of students toward the recent passing of the Minnesota Senate bill that would allow the University of Minnesota to sell alcohol to those who can afford premium seating at the new football stadium. The vile, putrid face of discrimination and class warfare has shown itself for all to see and yet no one seems to care. Maybe we should ask ourselves, what does the University imply about students on this campus when it will not allow the selling of alcoholic beverages to those very students who pay administratorsâÄô and executivesâÄô salaries? Perhaps they are saying wealthy individuals can be trusted not to cause havoc after drinking, but the same cannot be said of the poor. Or perhaps they will say that, if they be allowed to sell alcohol to those in premium seating, they can raise higher profits and pass these onto students. But could they not make even more profits if they allow all legal adults, and these are the key words, to buy and consume alcohol at games? One perhaps might retort that the damage and increased police presence resulting from this increase in alcohol sales would offset the profits gained by the University from open alcohol sales. But does this not imply the very same point alluded to previously; that the small wealthy minority attending these games can be trusted not to do harm but the lower classes cannot. The sad truth is that the University does not view students as adults, but rather as children whom they must take care of. The opposite of this is true, and once students recognize this, they can regain control of their school. Do not stand idly by as blatant discrimination is instituted in the very place that your hard earned money goes to support. Let it scream out, âÄúIf I pay your salaries, if I pay for the buildings which allow you to conduct business, if these things are required of me, then at least I require to be treated as an equal in the place I have helped to build!âÄù Michael Leviton University graduate student