Sports Roundup: U softball team No. 18 in rankings

The Gophers women’s softball team is ranked No. 18 in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) poll released Wednesday.
Minnesota, 12-3 overall and riding a nine-game winning streak, was not ranked in the preseason poll.
The team will put its ranking on the line this weekend when it takes on several national powerhouses at the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Columbus, Ga. No. 2 Washington and No. 6 Oklahoma are among the Gophers’ opponents.
Ticket prices remain stable
The Gophers men’s athletics department announced that single-game and season ticket prices for men’s basketball and men’s hockey will remain the same next year.
General public tickets for basketball and hockey will remain at $22.50 and $19.50, respectively, while student tickets will remain at $8.50 and $8, respectively.
Ticket prices for both sports had consistently gone up in small increments during past years.
Women’s hockey team No. 5
The Gophers women’s hockey team remained at No. 5 in the USA Today/American Hockey Magazine poll released Tuesday.
Minnesota, which has been fifth in the country for three straight weeks, has won eight games in a row.
The Gophers play the Thoroughbreds on Friday at 7 p.m. and the Blue J’s on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Mariucci Arena.
The Minnesota Student Association is sponsoring “Pack Mariucci Day” for Sunday’s game against the Blue J’s, the Gophers’ final home game of the season.
MSA has purchased 500 tickets for the game and will distribute them free to students today from 2-3:15 p.m. in the St. Paul Student Center and Friday from 1:30-3:30 p.m. in Coffman Union.
Golf
On the heels of freshman James McLean’s final-round 68, the Gophers men’s golf team finished in a tie for fourth place at the 15-team, 54-hole Puerto Rico Golf Classic.
The Gophers finished with a team score of 885, 10 strokes behind champion North Carolina.
McLean (fifth place) was the top individual finisher for the Gophers, while Martin LeMesurier (T-11th) and Rob Kerr (T-17th) also placed high.