Academic issues result in dismissal of two male gymnasts

Juniors Eric Steele and Bill Callahan have been dismissed from Minnesota’s men’s gymnastics team due to academic issues said coach Fred Roethlisberger.

Steele, the defending Big Ten vault champion, was ranked 11th nationally in the floor exercise last season. He was named the conference freshman of the year in 2001.

Callahan was the team’s second-best scorer on the high bar and its fifth-best on the parallel bars last season.

Both gymnasts were slated to compete in the all-around this season.

Wendell honored

for the fourth time this season, Krissy Wendell has been named the WCHA Rookie of the Week for her performance over the past weekend against Dartmouth and New Hampshire. She ties teammate Natalie Darwitz for the most times a Gopher has earned the award in a year.

Wendell scored an unassisted power-play goal and tallied an assist on the power-play in the 6-3 loss to the Big Green of Dartmouth. Wendell then scored another power-play goal and a power-play assist in the 4-0 shutout of New Hampshire.

With her four points over the weekend, Wendell regained the team lead in scoring with 46 points and 21 goals in 19 games played. Her 46 points rank first among rookie scorers in the nation.

Wendell ranks second in the WCHA in point total (46) and assist scoring (25) and third in goals scored (21).

The No. 3-ranked Minnesota women’s hockey team returns to action Feb. 1-2 when the Gophers travel to Bemidji State. Both games are at 1:05 p.m. in the John Glas Fieldhouse in Bemidji.

Minnesota’s next home action will be against Ohio State, Feb. 7-8 at Ridder Arena.

New Bowman added

senior Jen Bowman has transferred from Long Beach State to Minnesota to play volleyball for the Gophers according to an announcement made by coach Mike Hebert.

Bowman, who is the older sister of Minnesota signee Kelly Bowman, transferred from Long Beach State who finished the season ranked No. 14 in the nation in the USA Today/AVCA Top-25 poll.

She must sit out the 2003 season, per NCAA rules, since she already transferred from Northern Illinois to Long Beach State in 2002.

In her first two seasons at Northern Illinois, Bowman led the conference in assists averaging 13.98 per game. She became the first sophomore to be named MAC Player of the Year and was also named AVCA All-Region.

As a freshman she broke the Northern Illinois single-season assists record with 1,771 and was ninth in the nation in assists per game. Bowman was also named MAC and AVCA Region Freshman of the Year in 2000. In the summer of 2000, she played on the U.S. Junior National Team.

Bowman was a four-year letterwinner at Osseo High School in Maple Grove, Minn., where she left school as the all-time leader in kills (932), assists (1282), and posted single-season records for kills (320), assists (413) and aces (92).

She was named First-Team All-State as a senior and Second-Team All-State as a junior. She also was named First-Team All-Region all four years she played at Osseo High School.

Bowman is the third newcomer added to the Gophers squad joining freshmen Meredith Nelson and her younger sister Kelly.