Release course evaluation results

Prior to registration, all courses should have online descriptions and evaluations.

During registration, students have to start seriously thinking about what courses they want to take next semester. Registration’s not always easy; it’s a delicate process of choosing courses you need to graduate that fit together and that you won’t dread going to every day.

But as registration begins this week, the University has provided inadequate information for students to make these choices. As of Tuesday, course guides were still not listed for many classes. Without this information, students have no indication of how much reading or writing is required, how the tests are formatted or even the topics covered in a course.

Evaluations of teachers and courses would also be a useful tool in choosing what to register for. Currently the University only releases evaluations if professors provide consent for them to do so. The Minnesota Student Association continues to push for the release of all course evaluations.

Instructors who already release this information give prospective students a great tool to determine whether or not their class is a good fit for them. Students have distinct preferences about their courses and instructors, whether it is about the level of structure or if the syllabus is accurate. Knowing these types of things beforehand would help students choose the courses that they’d most enjoy, engage and learn from.

If all evaluations were made available, the students filling them out might also put more effort into how they answer at the end of each semester, and professors would be held publicly accountable if they continually disregarded student responses.

The courses we choose at registration are a four-month commitment. They can determine our mental well-being, our graduation status and our general feelings toward our college experience. The University should be more thorough about the information it provides for registration, including course descriptions and course evaluations. We pay for our education, so we should be able to make an informed decision about courses and instructors.