U police look into attempted rape, hate crimes

University police are investigating the attempted rape of a 24-year-old woman that occurred Sunday.

It is not known if the woman is a University student, police said.

Police could not comment on additional details about the investigation, said Steve Johnson, deputy police chief for the University Police Department.

Bias crime

University police are investigating a hate crime complaint regarding a female University student living at Territorial Hall, Johnson said.

Someone left a racially derogatory note on her door, Johnson said.

There are no suspects at this time, he said.

“We’re investigating the incident, but at this time, we need information or leads to follow up on,” Johnson said.

Assault

Three men assaulted a 19-year-old University student Saturday, a police report said.

The victim sustained lacerations to his forehead, abrasions to his face and a fracture of a facial bone, according to the report.

“The victim in this case was watching the door at a party and screening people at a party, making sure they were invited, and got into an altercation with three individuals,” Johnson said.

Domestic assault

On Monday, University police arrested a 24-year-old man for domestic assault at the Days Inn on University Avenue Southeast, according to a police report.

A man was found chasing a woman out of the hotel, Johnson said.

“They went through an emergency exit that set off an alarm,” Johnson said. “That’s how they drew attention to themselves.”

The man tried to stop the woman from leaving in her car, Johnson said.

The man had a history of domestic abuse, Johnson said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they arrested the man on a charge of misdemeanor assault, Johnson said. Police booked the man into Hennepin County Jail.

Fleeing police

An 18-year-old male University student led police on a foot chase Saturday, according to a police report.

The student had been drinking and fled on foot in the area of Oak Street Southeast and Washington Avenue Southeast when police confronted him, the report said.

He was caught and taken to Hennepin County Jail.

Misuse of placard

On Saturday, police issued a ticket to a 17-year-old after he was caught misusing a handicap placard, according to a police report.

He had parked at an

expired meter along Arlington Street Southeast and River Road East. The man used a handicap permit issued to a woman born in 1947, the report said.

The man told police he did not have money for the meter, according to the report.