THE FINAL WORD N…

THE FINAL WORD
Net: It started with a campaign and was sealed with a kiss. The campaign provoked discussion; to some, the kiss provoked revulsion. The letters poured in, and the anger grew — and we’re sure that, if we stirred the pot some more, we could seethe all summer.
But we choose against that. There are many facets to this University community. Many things to discuss, defend, laugh with and laugh at. Lots of stuff to think about and act upon. We’re going to get back to those things, starting today. But first, we offer you a rare public letter to Network from two people we’ve been reading a lot about lately — two people who have been attacked and defended, but until now silent on this page.
Not anymore. We close our raging debate of the past week with this letter …

From Nikki Kubista and Erin Ferguson: We wanted, first of all, to say thank you to everyone who supported us during the campaign. We would also like to thank those of you who have written supportive letters to the editor and to Network in the last week.
When we made the decision to run for MSA, we both felt strongly that we wanted our campaign to focus on issues. Whether we won or lost, we wanted to be able to look back on the campaign and say we were able to accomplish something.
One of the issues we wanted to work on during the campaign was tuition. So, as you probably know, we spent one day collecting the signatures of students who opposed the tuition hike. Those 400 signatures were attached to packages of Ramen and delivered to the regents. This gave us the chance to communicate with students about the future of the University, and with the regents about the impact their decision would have on the student body.
Another issue we wanted our campaign to address was strengthening campus diversity. Of course, we both feel that the University needs to take a stand against racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, ableism and other forms of oppression at every level, including student government. But we also feel that the University needs to find proactive, positive and fun ways to support diverse campus communities.
Neither of us could think of a more positive and fun way to support our campus gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities than to sponsor a drag show during our GLBT Spring Pride Week. Though to some a drag show might have seemed silly or sensationalized, for us, and many others in the GLBT community, drag shows represent the GLBT community’s long history of using art and humor as a way of expressing ourselves, forming strong communities and resisting homophobia.
As president and vice president of MSA we have our work cut out for us. In order for us to accomplish everything we would like to do this year, we need your help. This is your student government. It is empowered by your involvement and your ideas. We are not kids playing politics — we are students making positive changes. If you like the direction we want to take student government, get invovled in MSA, college board or any student organization on campus.
We look forward to working with you during the upcoming year. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your suggestions and ideas.
Net: Thank you.

Today, we have a thank-you, a fantasy, and good old fashioned orneriness.

MOVIN’ ON …
From Ho-down: In Friday’s paper I saw that someone found my lost keys. I’m so glad — this will save me quite a bit of cash. Net: Yeah — new car windows can get real expensive when you have to smash them every time you need to get in. There were two keys, both gold colored. The Barbie keychain has lost both legs, and her paint is wearing off. Net: Call it “Boxing Helena Barbie.” I tried to call the Daily to figure out where I could pick them up, but your voice mail isn’t working, so someone over there in the Daily’s crew has a message for you guys. Net: Our most common message from people in the Daily is “Get out of here. You’re blowing our cover.” For the person who has the keys — if you could please e-mail me back via Network, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

JUST BE A PLAYER
From Juan Pablo: Oh, Network, thou art the stoniest. Net: Uh, we’ll take that as a compliment, hepcat. Recently, I saw this movie, “The Players Club,” and it was so unrealistic. Net: Yeah — it was, like, two-dimensional and stuff. There was this college professor who actually took a special interest and went out of his way to help his students! Net: Must’ve wanted to sleep with them. Who are they trying to kid — not in a million years would this ever happen. Net: Not true. You simply need to be in the right place at the right time. The school where Robin “Oh Captain, My Captain” Williams taught in the ’50s was OK when he was there. And that guy in “Head of the Class” knew what he was doing. And don’t forget Mr. Collins in “The Wonder Years.” But Pencey Prep sucked. You’re right.
Yeah, right.

FIRE AND BRIMSTONE
From A Track Runner: What’s up with all of you narrow-minded losers with nothing better to do than taunt the preachers on the Mall? They are just innocently spreading God’s word — something the Bible tells us to do. If you don’t want to listen to them, go to the other side of the Mall. Net: It’s interesting. A lot of the people who criticize Mall preachers are the same folks who vociferously defend the right of offensive entertainers to be over any airwave at any time.
It’s sad to see Christians being persecuted.