Drunk freshman found passed out at Midnight Madness

University police cited a freshman for minor consumption of alcohol after they found him passed out and sitting in his own vomit at Midnight Madness on Saturday morning.

“I don’t even remember going to Williams Arena,” said 19-year-old Nathan Eric Helstrom.

Although he said he does not remember the late-night scrimmage, according to the police report he woke up and told officers he drank “too much alcohol” shortly before an ambulance took him to the emergency room.

Helstrom said he had been partying at a fraternity event Friday night and that it was strange to wake up the next morning at Fairview-University Medical Center and not know how he had gotten there.

In other police news:

University police cited four freshmen from Comstock Hall for underage drinking and marijuana use Saturday afternoon.

Police found the men in the wooded area south of Comstock Hall and obtained two glass pipes and two baggies of marijuana, according to the police report.

As police approached the men, they said they smelled alcohol and marijuana.

The area is known for illegal drugs and drinking, according to the report.

An unidentified man tried to sell University freshman John Klapperich a stolen bike Sunday night outside Territorial Hall, according to police reports.

“He tried to sell a bike for $100. It was a nice looking bike,” Klapperich said. “We told him he could probably get more.”

He said the man then walked away and started talking to some other people.

Minutes later, Klapperich said he saw University police running after the man as he rode away on the bike.

University police said the man abandoned the bike – a silver Specialized Expedition – during pursuit.

Police said they recovered the stolen property and are still searching for the suspect.

Klapperich described the suspected bike thief as a 6-foot-2-inch, 180-pound white man with brown hair.

K.C. Howard welcomes comments at [email protected]